A welding helmet is an absolute must for anyone doing any level of welding, and there is an abyssal difference between a good helmet and a great helmet from a protection, from an ease of use and quality standpoint. In short, you get what you pay for, and for a little extra money spent you get a lot of features and safety.
Miller is known worldwide as one of the very best makers of welders, plasma cutters, metal working tools, and accessories, but they also make welding safety gear too, including welding helmets, jackets, gloves and so forth. They recently sent us a Digital Elite series welding helmet in their patriotic Stars and Stripes II paint scheme.
The Miller Digital Elite welding helmet offers four modes for the metalworker; Weld, Cut, Grind and X-Mode – which provides greater versatility than other standard auto-darkening helmets.
The Digital Elite series is designed for professional welders and serious hobbyists alike who demand control, flexibility, and durability, while remaining lightweight (only 18 oz.). Digital Elite helmets feature the precision of a digital control that allows users to set and store their shade, sensitivity and delay preferences for various applications:
- Welding shades 8-13
- Cutting shades 5-8
- Grinding shade 3
- X-Mode shades 8-13
The X-Mode provides full protection for those instances when there is an arc present, but the sensors are obscured. X-Mode also eliminates interference from sunlight and out-of-position welding angles, such as those found in pipe welding or in obstructed or hidden-cavity welds—it also excels at low-amperage TIG welding (5 amps and below). When activated, those four arc sensors that come standard with the Auto-Off feature, respond in 1/20,000 of a second, allowing for complete eye protection.
- Manual-On and Auto-Off allow user to take full advantage of the 3,000 hour battery life
- The 9.22 sq. in. viewing field houses four independent arc sensors for an intuitive and broad scope of vision
- Precision of digital control with memory
- Viewing Area – 3.85 in x 2.38 in / 9.22 sq in (97 x 60 mm)
- Features Four Modes:
- Weld Mode – Variable Shade #8 – 13
- Cut Mode – Variable Shade #5 – 8
- Grind Mode – Light State #3
- X-Mode – Variable Shade #8 – 13- Electromagnetic Arc Sensing eliminates: Sunlight interference – Outdoors, Low-Amperage Lens Opening – TIG, Lens Openings – Pipe/Curves, Obstructed Sensors – Hidden/Cavity Welds
- Four Arc Sensors – 1/20,000 sec lens speed
- Sensitivity and Delay Control – .10 – 1.0 sec
- TIG rating – 5 Amps
- Manual-On/Auto-Off power control
- Accessible Bottom-mounted controls
- Weighs only 18 oz (510 g)
- Replacement lithium batteries (2) 3,000 hours with solar assist
- Convenient Magnifying Lens holder
- Includes $25 Accessory Package: 5 outside and 2 inside cover lenses, helmet bag, comfort cushion
- Meets ANSI Z87.1-2003 (High Impact) standard
- Hard Hat Adapter accessory available (#222 003)
- Magnifying lens holder included